Many Britons hit the pubs (with outdoor spaces) last week and were able to meet up with friends in groups of up to six people. Here's how England is easing restrictions from now until the end of June.
Stage One (from 8 and 29 March)
Step one was opened in two stages on 8 March and 29 March where schools returned and up to six people could meet outdoors.
Stage Two (from 12 April)
From 12 April, non-essential shops, gyms, libraries, hairdressers, nail salons, and outdoor attractions reopened and bars and restaurants could serve customers outdoors, limited to two households following the "rule of six."
England is still currently on Step Two of the government's roadmap out of lockdown and Covid-19 restrictions. These "non-essential" retailers have been allowed to reopen after four months of restrictions.
Stage Three (from 17 May)
From 17 May, we hope Stage Three will begin where people can
- meet in groups of up to 30 outdoors
- meet in groups of 6 indoors with 2 households
- have overnight stays with people not in their bubble
- go to pubs, restaurants, and hospitality venues
- attend weddings and other life events with up to 30 people
- attend outdoor entertainment like outdoor theatres and cinemas (4,000 people)
- go to indoor entertainment like museums, theatres, cinemas, and children's play areas
- watch performances and large events with limited audience numbers (1,000 people for small venues and up to 10,000 for sports stadiums)
- stay in hotels, hostels, and B&Bs
- travel internationally
- attend adult indoor sports and exercise classes
- go to university and return to campus
In Stage Three, advice on social distancing will be updated as well as contact such as hugging. Wedding receptions will be allowed with limited numbers (30 people).
Stage Four (from 21 June)
It is hoped that from 21 June, all legal limits on social contact will be lifted, which means there will be no limits on how many people can attend weddings, funerals, and life events. Nightclubs and all other businesses that haven't been reopened by this point (such as festivals) will be able to reopen.
Let's hope cases continue to go down and people can resume a semi pre-Covid life. What are you looking forward to the most when things reopen? Stay safe!